By Hugh H. Benson
- Covers a really huge variety of topics from diversified perspectives
- Contributions are dedicated to subject matters, starting from notion and information to politics and cosmology
- Allows readers to determine how a place encouraged in a single of Plato’s dialogues compares with positions endorsed in others
- Permits readers to interact the talk bearing on Plato’s philosophical improvement on specific topics
- Also comprises overviews of Plato’s lifestyles, works and philosophical method
Read or Download A Companion to Plato (Blackwell Companions to Philosophy) PDF
Similar greek & roman philosophy books
This examine seems at how the seventeenth-century thinker Sadr al-Din al-Shirazi, referred to as Mulla Sadra, tried to reconcile the 3 significant varieties of wisdom in Islamic philosophical discourses: revelation (Qur'an), demonstration (burhan), and gnosis or intuitive wisdom ('irfan). In his grand synthesis, which he calls the 'Transcendent Wisdom', Mulla Sadra bases his epistemological concerns on a powerful research of life and its modalities.
Addressing classicists, philosophers, scholars, and common readers alike, this quantity emphasizes the team spirit of Seneca’s paintings and his originality as a translator of Stoic rules within the literary different types of imperial Rome. It includes a vitalizing variety of individuals from assorted generations, disciplines, and examine cultures.
The interval spanning nearly 624-545 BC to 175-225 advert is frequently thought of the main intriguing in Western philosophy. Designed as a spouse to the unique works of the traditional philosophers from this early interval, this introductory textual content spotlights seminal thinkers, together with the Sophists; deals an in depth research of the concepts and teachings of Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle; and contours a well-rounded evaluation of the Hellenistic and Roman philosophers, studying Epicureanism, Stoicism, and skepticism.
Las enseñanzas morales del estoico (y durante un tiempo esclavo) Epicteto, transmitidas por Flavio Arriano, tienen un fin práctico: que sus discípulos alcancen una vida feliz mediante los angeles serena comprensión de l. a. naturaleza humana. Debemos nuestro conocimiento del filósofo estoico griego Epicteto (Hierápolis de Frigia [actual Turquía] fifty five d.
- The Cambridge Companion to Plotinus (Cambridge Companions to Philosophy)
- Oxford Studies in Ancient Philosophy, Volume 47
- Ancient Worlds, Modern Reflections: Philosophical Perspectives on Greek and Chinese Science and Culture
- Aristoteles' Naturphilosophie im zweiten Buch der Physik (German Edition)
- Being, Nature, and Life in Aristotle: Essays in Honor of Allan Gotthelf
- Hölderlin and the Poetry of Tragedy: Readings in Sophocles, Shakespeare, Nietzsche and Benjamin
Extra resources for A Companion to Plato (Blackwell Companions to Philosophy)